Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Eye opener

I had a bit of an eye opener the other day.
 
I picked the girls up from school/daycare and was asked to pick up my brother-in-law up from the train station.  Hubs' brother is 14.  So with the girls in tow, I headed down and picked him up.  He asked me if I could drive his friend home too, so I said sure and they hopped in.
 
On the way home the boys were talking about their groups they had in class for some project they were working on.  They proceeded to say who was in eachother's groups, and then one of them said "oh, and we have so and so...NERD" and they rolled their eyes and laughed.  They were clearly outing this particular girl and thought nothing of her other than she was a "loser". 
 
Right after they were finished saying that, Eve pipes in and says "I have a prep playground and I love playing on the monkey bars".  What she said was totally un-related to any conversation anyone was having and was so innocent.  All she could talk about was how she likes playing on the monkey bars. 
 
In those few moments my eyes opened up to whats coming for me. 
 
 


 
Theres only 9 years between bro-in-law and Eve.  In 9 years my baby will be past talking about monkey bars and will be discussing the cool kids that are in her groups. 
 
I totally remember doing that when I was 14.  At that age you are best friends with someone one day and then not the next.  There was obvious kids in my school that weren't part of certain groups.  The boys were just doing what normal 14 yr olds do, but I couldn't get over the changes that are to come my way. 
 
Eve is now in Prep and bordering near the end of the school year.  She will be in grade 1 next year and I feel like i've lost my baby.  I want to hold on to her forever and freeze her monkey bar talking self just the way she is RIGHT NOW
 
 
 
 
 
 
Photobucket

18 comments:

RedusRN said...

I had a similar experience at the bus stop with my 1st grader. He was standing next to 3 fourth grade boys who were busy talking about things 4th graders talk about, and my baby could not take his eyes off them. He was transfixed on the older, "cooler" boys. All I could think was how he was hiding his cars in his backpack and how in just a few short years, he will be "too old" for baby toys such as cars. It crushed me..he looked soo little next to them, yet the future was staring me in the face. Didn't cry the first day of school, but bawled for a long time that day. *sigh*

A Little Piece of Me said...

Having 3 adult kids and now 3 little girls, I have been through that phase years ago. It was very hard. I look at my girls and how innocent they are right now and I know what is to come. I've been there, done it (maybe not right but the best I knew how at the time), I don't look forward to it but I know it must come about so they can grow up to who they need to be. It will all run it's course and in the end, they will come out fine on the other end. This is what I keep reminding myself every day. Hang in there Nicole! You are raising God's daughters who will one day become His sons brides. They need to go through these times so that God can mold them and they can learn the lessons they need to get them where He needs them to be. =)

Sheri said...

I totally agree! I have 3 girls, 7 year old twins and a 5 year old. The twins are already starting to experience how finicky kids can be. They are both well-liked girls but I worry so much about all the hurt that comes along with growing up. I see the difference even between the 7 year olds and my 5 year old. She is still just this innocent sweet girl who just loves to twirl til she's dizzy and talk about Tinkerbell. *sigh* I'll miss that so much.

Cami @ All Things Lovely said...

oh the teenage years...they totally stress me out! can i just homeschool Mason until he's 18?!
i think as long as your kids are taught well at home, to love one another, be kind, and know that they are loved...they will be ok.
(at least i like to tell myself that :), makes it seem do-able)

Sunshine Blossoms said...

Wow... Girl, I feel ya. And my little man is only (almost) 2. It happens too fast.

Unknown said...

Nice blog and nice post!i like it so much! please see my mew post of miriamstella styte with DOLCE E GABBANA shirt and CHANEL 2.55 bag.
And if you like it, please follow me! it's important !
i wait for you!
xoxoxo
Miriamstella(from Italy)
http://isfashionmypassion.blogspot.com/

Jamie Lynn said...

Just found you from 3,4 and under
I know how you feel~ except my oldest is only 4. Stop by and say hello- I am now a follower of you! Have a great day!
Jamie
lovelongtime.blogspot.com

Counselor Musings said...

Visiting from comment hour! What a way to "see the future"... it's definitely sad that kids feel the need to make eachothers lives tough- life is hard enough as it is!!

Jessica @FoundtheMarbles said...

I am seeing some fierce changes in my son in second grade. I can't even imagine what's to come. I just hope that I am giving him the tools to make good decisions!

Kasey said...

This is truly an eye-opening post. I remember being there at that age too, as sad as it is. :-(

Gotta love the innocence of children.

Julie Jordan Scott said...

It sounds cliche, but love every moment with her. My youngest daughter is 14 and there ARE tough times. (I think sometimes other kids call her a Nerd and a Loser... she is ok with that as long as she has other Nerd/Loser friends. Being left out is the worst.)

I just love every stage with my daughters, and my son who at ten is about to start middle school next year!

Visiting from #commenthour - great stuff here!

Chasing Joy said...

I can see how that would make you see how fast time flys. Good things: the boys felt comfy talking in front of you and your little monkey bar baby felt confident enough to joi in their conversation. :-)

Unknown said...

I'm already nervous about this and I don't even have kids yet, it is a scary thought raising teenagers in today's society. Good luck Mama! Sounds like you have a very sweet little girl :)

Pidg said...

I think your blog is "One Lovely Blog" Congrats Nicole...and holy cow those eye openers just get more frequent as they grow don't they!

http://pidgapeg.blogspot.com/2011/09/one-lovely-blog-awardthank-you-nay-she.html

Tracey at Small Bright Pebbles said...

My husband calls it the bonsai effect: he sometimes wishes he could 'bonsai' the kids so that they remain the size (and age) they are now.

Trish said...

2nd grade was when my girls started calling other kids "loser" and "retard" Ugh. It's so hurtful and we are still working on it, but it gets better. (one year later). Kids don't always think before speaking.

TheProDiva said...

Isn't innocence amazing! I wish more children could hold on to it a lot longer. Stopping by from Comment Hour to show some love! I dig your blog!

Cindee said...

I am here to give some commenthour love.. I love the post,My kids are grown, but I have a vivid memory of my middle girl swinging on those monkey bars blond ponytails flying in air, till dad had to visit and have a bonding experince in the nurses office.lol those time go quick take all of them in. positive i have 9 grankiddos all under age of nine, love it. great site I am a follower..

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...