Saturday, September 3, 2011

Living in Yellow - Blogging Tips 101

We all have our "GO TO" blogs each day don't we?!.
One of mine is Living In Yellow.  Erin cracks me up every time I read a post of hers.  When I feel sad and need a good laugh and some support - I head over to Erin's place.  I love her so much, I asked her to Guest post, so today she's going to crack us all up AND give us some blogging tips :)


Well hello there all you Miss Mommy fans.
I am SO excited to be here today.
My name is Erin and I come from Living In Yellow.
I was so flattered when Nicole asked me to post for her.
Not only is she the sweetest blogger in the whole blogger universe-
her posts inspire me-
Her comments continually make me smile-and she is oh relatable.
Not only that-but the girl lives in Australia.
Pretty sure that ranks on the highest level of awesome that there is.
I am praying one of these days my lucky little self will get to travel over seas to meet her.
Anyhow, I thought it would be fun if I shared with you my top 10 11
Blogging Lessons Learned.
Hopefully you will learn something new-or will relate to a couple of them.
If not-I'm sorry, this is the most pointless post you could've spent your time reading ;)
Blogging Lesson Learned #1:
Title your posts with eye catching "Oh no she didn't just write about that..." type stuff.
I tried this out a few months back and this post produced more page views than almost anything else I've ever written about.
I am not sure if I should applaud you or condemn my readers for this ;)


Blogging Lesson Learned #2:

Have your comment settings set to Open In A New Window.
To do this, click on the following:

Once there, complete the following:



The embedded comment form can not be used if you have Post Pages disabled.
There is a large handful of us bloggers who can not leave comments on your blog if this is not the case.
There is nothing more discouraging than reading a post, wanting to gush to the owner about how much you loved it, and then not being able to...which leads me to my next point.


Blogging Lesson Learned #3:

Always have your email address easily accessible on your blog.
Sometimes I need to get in contact with your booty.
And my booty needs to know your booties email address.
So please, have it somewhere.
It makes life much, much easier.
 
Blogging Lesson Learned #4:
Include pictures in all of your posts.
If you don't, I get bored.

Just sayin'.
Even if the only picture you post is something as ridiculous as this, post it:

Blogging Lesson Learned #5:

Read other blogs for inspiration.
You think I get all my genius ideas by myself?
Good joke-I get a lot of my ideas on what to write about from other blogs..
Ain't no shame in it.


Blogging Lesson Learned #6:

Leave comments on other blogs.
If you like what the person had to say, tell them.
Those comments make people's days shine a little bit brighter.
I speak from experience on that one.
Oh-and never leave a mean comment.
That is rude.
And dumb.
And you don't want to be rude & dumb now do we?

Blogging Lesson Learned #7
Having a case of writer's block?
Go experience life.
Don't sit around in front of your computer wasting precious time that could be spent on much more satisfying, quality, life enhancing things.
Your blog will thank you for it.
Chances are good while you are out enjoying your life, an idea just might pop into your head.
 For other ways to get over writer's block, read this.

Blogging Lesson Learned #8
When you accidently delete the design of your blog and have no idea on how to fix it-
Don't freak out.
Remember it is the content that keep people coming back.
Not how pretty your sidebar looks.
Unfortunately, I'm still trying to convince myself of this lesson.

Blogging Lesson Learned #9
Want to know how to make a button for your blog? Click Here.
What about a header? Click Here.
Want to learn how to be awesome? Click Here.
Ha. Got ya.

Blogging Lesson Learned #10
Last but not least, BE YOURSELF.
Nobody wants to read the words of somebody who is trying to be somebody else.
And face it-you're pretty amazing..why hide that from the world?
You are the best thing your blog has.
So there you have it friends..
10 little but important lessons I have learned over the past 6 months.
What words of wisdom am I missing?
I would love to hear it.
As in, take the advice off of lesson learned #6 and leave me a comment with it.


Oh yeah, Lesson Learned #11:
Have the coolest cats in the world read your blog.
Lesson Accomplished ;)
....Want to be one of the coolest cats in the world?
I'd love to have ya :)

11 comments:

Cat said...

Thanks for the tips! Still trying to figure out how to make some of them work in weebly - but I'm psyched to try the button thing. Love both your blogs!

A Little Piece of Me said...

I love Erin! I remember her tips and I always have them in the back of my mind when I write my posts. She is so fun! She also cracks me up all the time. :)

Unknown said...

So true about being yourself... Sometimes I feel like alot of blogs out there are cookie cutter.
I like Erin because she doesnt pretend to be someone shes not...
A take it or leave it kinda girl.
I like that.

Unknown said...

awesome tips! These are so helpful to a novice blogger like myself!

Erin @ Living In Yellow said...

Oh how I love being on your blog :) thanks for the sweet words! You are the best!

Kimberly said...

Thanks for the helpful tips! Another fun blog to read, wahooooo! :)

Sheri said...

That was helpful! And entertaining! Going to click and be a cool cat now... : )

Cassie @ Live.Laugh.L0ve. said...

Hahha, I love Erin and her blog! She cracks me up! Great guest post!!

Tammy said...

What awesome tips! such a good post, always good to get new tips

Sunshine Blossoms said...

New follower! :)

Awesome post! Headed over to check out Erin's blog right now! And dig into the archives of this fun blog. :)

MaryBeth said...

I love this! I was have been having a hard time coming up with things to post and this made my day! Thanks for your inspiration!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...